The Classical Renaissance architecture of Georgia's State Capitol resembles that of the United States Capitol. Completed in 1889, the building was designed by architects Willoughby J. Edbrooke and Franklin P. Burnham of Chicago, Illinois and constructed by Miles and Horne of Toledo, Ohio.
The front of the Capitol faces west on Washington street. The facade features a four-story portico with stone pediment, supported by six Corinthian columns set on large stone piers. Georgia's coat-of-arms, with two figures on each side, is engraved on the pediment.
The Capitol's interior reflects the Victorian style of its day. It was among the earliest buildings to have elevators, central steam heat, and combination gas and steam lights. Classical pilasters and oak paneling are used throughout the building.
The open central rotunda is flanked by two wings, each with a grand staircase and three-story atrium crowned by clerestory windows.
Originally constructed of terra cotta and covered with tin, the present dome is gilded with native gold.